How to create and assign customer groups in Magento?
In this article we are going to discuss how various customer groups can be created in Magento eCommerce portal and how to assign a customer to a specific customer group created in Magento eCommerce portal.
Customer Groups in magento :-
User can create and view customer groups from Magento admin panel. Admin can view all defined customer groups by clicking on ‘Customers->Customer Groups’. By default there are two customer groups defined in a fresh Magento installation.
- NOT LOGGED IN
New Customer Group creation:-
Admin can create new customer groups from admin panel. Admin just have to click on ‘Customers->Customer Groups’. All defined customer groups will appear in a tabular format. The steps to create a customer group are given below:
- Click on ‘Add New Customer Group’ button.
- New Customer Group section appears.
- Enter new customer group name
- Select the ‘Tax Class’ from Tax Class drop down.
- Click on ‘Save Customer Group’ button.
- New Customer Group will appear on the top of the list along with an auto generated ID.
View Customer Groups:-
Admin can view the customer groups assigned to customers by clicking on ‘Customers->Manage Customers’. All customer details will appear in a tabular format. Admin can view the customer group of each and every customer in ‘Group’ column.
Assign a customer to a specific Customer Group:-
Admin has the ability to assign a customer to a particular customer group. The required steps are given below:
- Click on ‘Customers->Manage Customers’
- All registered customer details will appear in a tabular format
- Beside each customer detail there is a check box
- Select the check boxes beside customers which will be assigned to a particular customer group
- Click on ‘Actions’ drop down and select the action ‘Assign a customer group’
- Another drop down will appear listing all available customer groups
- Select the desired customer group
- Click on ‘Submit’ button
- All selected customers will be assigned to this new group