What’s new in Magento Community 1.9 ?
Mark Lavelle, SVP of Product and Strategy for eBay Enterprise introduced us to the new Magento Community 1.9 at this year’s Magento Imagine on 13th May. This new edition has more than 50 enhancements that would improve quality and security throughout the product.
Technology updates :
- Updated from PHP 5.3.x to PHP 5.4.x
- Zend Framework has been upgraded to version 1.12.3
- The default theme now follows Responsive Web Design principles.
- Magento frontend language choosing option
- Filtration by category, price, additional attributes, etc.
Feature Updates :
- Cross-border trade (also referred to as price consistency) was added to support European Union (EU) merchants who want to maintain consistent prices for customers whose tax rates are different than the store tax rate.
Cross-border trade can be activated in the Admin Panel, click System > Configuration > SALES > Tax > Calculation Settings, option Enable Cross Border Trade.
- Item quantities in the mini shopping cart and now me changed or removed without refreshing the page.
- Bill Me Later is now a payment option while checking out. (Bill Me Later is a PayPal service.) It will allow you to provide your customers financing options without to your cost.
- Customers would be able to retry with alternative financial instrument in PayPal upon credit card processor failure.
- Order Review Page Improvement – The order review page and Update order step can now be enabled or disabled to enhance PayPal Express checkout.
A lot of fixes has been done in this new version, notably regarding Tax Calculations.